Areas of Interest
- Clean Labels for Food Packaging; Protective Packaging for distribution/transportation, Novel Packaging Technologies ; Safe, smart and sustainable packaging;, Intelligent Packaging System; Temperature regulating packaging for food and pharma;, Active Packaging & Food Shelf Life (Use of oxygen, ethylene & moisture absorbers, antimicrobial agents);, High Barrier Polymeric Films ( oxygen and moisture).
|2020-01-13||Ongoing||Assistant Professor||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India|
|2019-04-30||8 months 13 days||DST INSPIRE Faculty||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India|
|2018-03-27||11 months 1 day||Postdoctoral Fellow||Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal, Montreal, Canada|
Honors and Awards
|Fellow of Linnean Society of London||Linnean Society of London, UK||2019|
|ScienceDirect top 25 most downloaded articles||Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands||2017|
|DST INSPIRE Faculty||Department of Science and Technology, Government of India||2019|
|Student Travel Scholarship Award||International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) USA||2016|
|A J Banks Travel Award||Society of Chemical Industries (SCI) London, UK||2015|
|Outstanding Foreign Student Scholarship Award||Graduate School, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea||2014|
|Student of the Month Award||Packaging Graduate Association, Michigan State University, USA||2011|
|Food Safety Officer||Common Wealth Games (CWG) Delhi 2010||2010|
|Merit Scholarship||Directorate of Technical Educational, Government of Maharashtra, India||2010|
|PhD||Packaging Technology||Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea||2018|
|MS||Packaging Technology||Michigan State University, East Lansing, USA||2013|
|M.Tech||Food Technology||Sam Higginbottom University of Agriculture, Technology & Sciences Allahabad, India||2011|
|B.Tech||Food Science||Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Agriculture University, Akola, India||2009|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|Packaging System for Shelf Life Extension of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables (as Co-PI)||Uttarakhand State Council for Science & Technology (UCOST), Dehradun||2020-05||Ongoing|
|Active Packaging System for Fresh Produce (as PI)||Sponsored Research & Industrial Consultancy (SRIC), IIT Roorkee||2020-01||Ongoing|
|Functional biodegradable packaging materials for food packaging application (as PI)||Department of Science & Technology (DST), India||2019-01||Ongoing|
Participation in seminars
|PACKEX 2018||Montreal, Canada||Polytechnqe Montreal, Canada||2018-01|
|8th The Shelf Life International Meeting||Bangkok, Thailand||Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy (MOTIE), South Korea.||2017-01|
|IFT Annual Meeting 2017||Las Vegas, USA||SCI, London||2017-01|
|Empack 2016||Madrid, Spain||Graduate School Yonsei University, Korea||2016-01|
|IAFP Annual Meeting 2016||St Louis, USA||International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) USA||2016-01|
|Food Packaging Project Annual Meet||Narita, Japan||Graduate School Yonsei University, Korea||2016-01|
|48th Annual conference of Korean society of packaging science & technology||Jeju, South Korea||Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy (MOTIE), South Korea.||2016-01|
|Innovation in food packaging, shelf life and food safety||Munich, Germany||Society of Chemical Industries (SCI) London, UK||2015-01|
|Research Collaboration with University of Zurich||Zurich, Switzerland||Graduate School Yonsei University, Korea||2015-01|
|Industrial visit Rising Packaging & Printing Management||Shanghai, China||Industry sponsored||2015-01|
|PACK EXPO 2012||Chicago, USA||Michigan State University, USA||2012-01|
|Critical research needs in Food & Packaging industry||East Lansing, USA||Korean Society of Packaging Science &Technology||2011-01|
- Institute of Packaging Professional (IoPP), Chicago, USA. , Member
- Society of Chemical Industries (SCI), London, UK., Annually Member
- International Association of Food Protection (IAFP), USA, Annually Member
- American Society for Testing and Materials International (ASTM), USA, Member
- International Society of Food Engineering (ISFE), USA., Life Member
- Association of Food Scientist & Technologist (AFSTI) India., Annually Member
- Michigan State University Packaging Alumni Association (MSU-PAA), USA, Life Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Packaging Principles, Processes, and Sustainability||PPN-541||M.Tech.||Autumn|
Research Scholar Groups
|Shashank Saini||Packaging Technology|
|Avinash Kumar||Active packaging for food|
|Aaditya Pandey||Membrane Technology for Food Packaging|
|Ramakanth Dakuri||Active packaging for lipid based food|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Date|
|Biopolymers for Food Packaging applications||Akhila Konala||O||2020-08|
|Active Packaging for Lipid based Food||Ramakanth Dakuri||O||2020-01|
|Membrane Technology for Food Packaging Application||Aaditya Pandey||O||2019-08|
|Paper-based packaging materials, Active packaging||Avinash Kumar||O||2016-01|
|Sustainable packaging materials||Shashank Saini||O||2016-01|
|Paper and paper-based food-grade testing||Central pulp and Paper Research Institute, Saharanpur, India||2019-01|
|Food Antioxidants and Functional Ingredients-Shelf Life Extension, Nutrition and Health||Society of Chemical Industries (SCI), London, UK.||2018-01|
|Advances in functional food packaging Technology||EURO FOOD 2015, Alicante, Spain||2015-01|
|Use of nanotechnology in packaging Technology||BIT’s 5th Annual world congress of Nanoscience and Technology||2015-01|
Participation in short term courses
|Couse Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Bio Safety||Department of Health, Safety and Environment, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea||2014-01|
|Laboratory Safety & WHIMS||Department of Health, Safety and Environment, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea||2014-01|
|HACCP (Food Safety) & ISO 22000:2005||RSM Astute consulting Pvt Ltd., Mumbai, India||2010-01|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Extension of the shelf life of post-harvested fresh produce through packaging technology||First International conference on tropical agriculture and Horticulture science||2015-01|
|Recent trends in food packaging||Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India||2014-01|
National International Collaboration
|Advance Food Packaging||Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea|
|Sustainable packaging system for fresh produce||Institute of Food Science & Technology, VCSG Uttarakhand University of Horticulture and Forestry, Dehradun,Uttarakhand, India|
Other work- REVIEWER (SCI INDEXED JOURNAL) 1. Journal of Applied Polymer Science (Wiley) 2.Waste and Biomass Valorization (Springer) 3. Food Packaging and Shelf life (Elsevier) 4. Food Engineering Reviews (Springer) 5. International Journal of Food Properties. (Taylor & Francis) 6. Sugar Tech. (Springer) 7. Food Measurement and Characterization (Springer)
1. PK Omre, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Suman Singh, Food Packaging System. BioTech Books Publisher, New Delhi. ISBN: 978-81-7622 (Book Authored)
# Book Chapters
1. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Suman Singh, PK Omre, Sandhya Madan Mohan. Active and intelligent packaging: Innovations for the future Chapter in Food Processing and Technology: new emerging areas. Shree publishers and distributor, New Delhi. PP: 10-21. ISBN: 978-81-8329-717-2. (Book Chapter)
2. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, PK More. Food Packaging Development Chapter in Food Processing and Technology: new emerging areas. Shree publishers and distributor, New Delhi. PP: 10-21. ISBN: 978-81-8329-717-2. . (Book Chapter)
3. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj Gaikwad, PK Omre, Food sovereignty as a way to achieve food security Chapter in Extension for agriculture & rural development. BioTech Books, New Delhi. PP-133-138. ISBN: 978-8-176223386. (Book Chapter)
Refereed Journal Papers
1. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee, UV activated oxygen-absorbing packaging materials and preparation method thereof Patent number KOR1020170091190 (South Korea) granted 2018
2. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee, Novel oxygen scavenging film and composition for packaging comprising the same Patent number 10-2017-0087080, USA
# Refereed Journal Papers (SCI/SCIE Indexed)
(Citation: 650; h-index: 16 ; i10-index: 25; RG Score: 27.77) *indicates the corresponding author
38. Gaurav Singh, Suman Singh, Bijender Kumar, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad*(2020) Active oxygen barrier chitosan films containing gallic acid-based oxygen scavenger. Journal of Food Measurement & Characterization. DOI: 10.1007/s11694-020-00669-w (Impact Factor: 1.64)
37. Suman Singh, Pradip K Maji, Youn Suk Lee, Kirtiraj K Gaikwad*(2020) Applications of gaseous chlorine dioxide for antimicrobial food packaging: a review. Environmental Chemistry Letters. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10311-020-01085-8 (Impact Factor: 5.92)
36. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad., Singh, S., Shin, J., Lee, Y.S., (2020) Novel polyisoprene based UV-activated oxygen scavenging films and their applications in packaging of beef jerky. LWT -Food Science and Technology. 117:108643. Doi. 10.1016/j.lwt.2019.108643. (Impact Factor: 4.00)
35. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Singh, Suman, Yuvraj Singh Negi (2020) Ethylene scavengers for active packaging of fresh food produce. Environmental Chemistry Letters. 18: 269-284. Doi.10.1007/s10311-019-00938-1(Impact Factor: 5.92)
34. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad*, Singh, Suman, Yuvraj Singh Negi, Youn Suk Lee (2020) The effect of trans-polyisoprene/LDPE based active films on oxidative stability in roasted peanuts. Journal of Food Measurement & Characterization. 14:1857-1864. Doi.10.1007/s11694-020-00433-0. (Impact Factor: 1.64)
33. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee (2019) Development and application of a pyrogallic acid-based oxygen scavenging packaging system for shelf life extension of peeled garlic. Scientia Horticulturae. 256:108548 Doi.10.1016/j.scienta.2019.108548 (Impact Factor: 2.76)
32. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Suman Singh, Abdellah Ajji (2019) Moisture absorbers for food packaging applications. Environmental Chemistry Letters. 17 (2)609–628 Doi.10.1007/s10311-018-0810-z (Impact Factor: 5.92)
31. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee (2019) Temperature-controlling system for fresh produce during distribution and transportation. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry. Doi: 10.1007/s10973-019-08658-y (Impact Factor: 2.73)
30. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Suman Singh, Youn Suk Lee (2018) Antimicrobial and improved barrier properties of natural phenolic compound-coated polymeric films for active packaging applications. Journal of Coatings Technology and Research. 16: 147–157. Doi. 10.1007/s11998-018-0109-9 (Impact Factor: 1.81)
29. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee (2018) Temperature-sensitive smart packaging for monitoring the shelf life of fresh beef. Journal of Food Engineering. 234:42-49. doi: 10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2018.04.014. ScienceDirect top 25 most downloaded articles. (Impact Factor: 4.49)
28. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Suman Singh, Youn Suk Lee (2018) High adsorption of ethylene by alkali-treated halloysite nanotubes for food packaging applications. Environmental Chemistry Letters. 16:1055–1062 Doi. 10.1007/s10311-018-0718-7 (Impact Factor: 5.92)
27. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Myungho Lee, Youn Suk Lee (2018) Thermally buffered corrugated packaging for preserving the postharvest freshness of mushrooms (Agaricus bispours). Journal of Food Engineering. 218:11-19. Doi: 10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2017.07.013 (Impact Factor: 4.49)
26. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Suman Singh, Youn Suk Lee (2018) Oxygen scavenging films in food packaging. Environmental Chemistry Letters. 16:523–538 Doi 10.1007/s10311-018-0705-z (Impact Factor: 5.92)
25. Suman Singh, Myungho Lee, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee (2018) Antibacterial and amine scavenging properties of silver-silica composite for post-harvest storage of fresh fish. Food and Bioproducts Processing. 107: 61-69 Doi: 10.1016/j.fbp.2017.10.009 (Impact Factor: 3.72)
24. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee (2018) Anthocyanin – a natural dye for smart food packaging systems. Korean Journal of Packaging Science & Technology. 24 (3) 167-180 https://doi.org/10.20909/kopast.2018.24.3.167
23. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee (2018) Phase change materials for advanced cooling packaging. Environmental Chemistry Letters. Doi. 10.1007/s10311-018-0726-7 (Impact Factor: 5.92)
22. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Suman Singh, Youn Suk Lee (2017) A pyrogallol-coated modified LDPE film as an oxygen scavenging film for active packaging materials. Progress in Organic Coatings.111:186-195. Doi 10.1016/j.porgcoat.2017.05.016.ScienceDirect top 25 most downloaded article. (Impact Factor: 4.46)
21. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Myungho Lee, Youn Suk Lee (2018) Microwave-assisted micro-encapsulation of phase change material using zein for smart food packaging applications. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry. 131 (3)2187–2195 DOI: 10.1007/s10973-017-6768-4 (Impact Factor: 2.73)
20. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Suman Singh, Youn Suk Lee (2017) A new pyrogallol coated oxygen scavenging film and their effect on oxidative stability of soybean oil under different storage conditions. Food Science and Biotechnology 26(6) 1535–1543. Doi 10.1007/s10068-017-0232-x (Impact Factor: 1.51)
19. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee (2018) Antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of polyvinyl alcohol biocomposite films containing seaweed extracted cellulose nano-crystal and basil leaves extract. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 107, 1879-1887. Doi: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.10.057 (Impact Factor: 5.16)
18. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee (2018) Temperature regulating material for advanced food packaging- Review. Journal of Food Measurement & Characterization. 12(1) 588–601 Doi: 10.1007/s11694-017-9672-5 (Impact Factor: 1.64)
17. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee (2017) Microwave-assisted step reduced extraction of seaweed (Gelidiella aceroso) cellulose nanocrystals. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 99: 506–510. Doi 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.03.004 (Impact Factor: 5.16)
16. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Seong Min Lee, Youn Suk Lee (2017) Development of antimicrobial polyolefin films containing lauroyl arginate and their use in the packaging of strawberries. Journal of Food Measurement & Characterization. 11:1706–1716. Doi 10.1007/s11694-017-9551-0 (Impact Factor: 1.64)
15. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee (2017) Current scenario of gas scavenging systems used in active packaging – A review. Journal of Packaging Science and Technology. 23(2) 109-117.Doi 10.20909/kopast.2017.23.2.109.
14. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee (2017) Effect of storage conditions on the absorption kinetics of non-metallic oxygen scavenger suitable for moist food packaging. Journal of Food Measurement & Characterization. 11(3) 965–971. Doi 10.1007/s11694-017-9470-0 (Impact Factor: 1.64)
13. Byung J. Ahn, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee (2016) Characterization and properties of LDPE film with gallic-acid-based oxygen scavenging system useful as a functional packaging material. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 133: 44138. Doi 10.1002/app.44138 (Impact Factor: 2.52)
12. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Jin Yong Lee, Youn Suk Lee (2016) Development of polyvinyl alcohol and apple pomace bio-composite film with antioxidant properties for active food packaging application. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 53(3):1608- 1619. Doi 10.1007/s13197-015-2104-9 (Impact Factor: 1.94)
11. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Youn Suk Lee (2016) Novel natural phenolic compound-based oxygen scavenging system for active packaging applications. Journal of Food Measurement & Characterization. 10 (3): 533–538. Doi 10.1007/s11694-016-9332-1 (Impact Factor: 1.64)
10. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Suman Singh, Youn Suk Lee (2016) Functional corrugated board with organic and inorganic materials in food packaging application: A Review. Journal of Packaging Science and Technology 22 (3) 49-58. Doi 10.20909/kopast.2016.22.3.49
9. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, P.K. Omre, Youn Suk Lee (2016) Process development for stabilization of sugar cane juice using response surface methodology. Journal of Food Measurement & Characterization. 10:727–737. Doi 10.1007/s11694-016-9357-5 (Impact Factor: 1.64)
8. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Seonghyuk Ko (2015) Overview on polymer nano clay composite paper coating for packaging application. Journal of Material Science & Engineering 4:151. Doi: 10.4172/2169-0022.1000151
7. Singh, S., Omre, P. K., Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad (2014) Sensory Evaluation of optimized and Stabilized Sugarcane Juice. International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science 2(6). 637-648
6. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad and P.K. Omre, (2014) Spoilage of Sugarcane Juice a Problem in sugarcane Industry - A Review. International journal of agricultural Engineering. 7(1): 259-263
5. Suman Singh, P.K. Omre, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad (2014) Standardization of process parameters for neem oil & determination of properties for using as a fuel. International Journal of Engineering Research & General Science 2: 6.
4. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, P.K. Omre, B.K. Kumbhar (2013) Microwave Convection Drying Characteristics of Beet Root (Beta Vulgaris L.) Using Modeling Equations for Drying. Journal of Food Process Technology 4:263. DOI: 10.4172/2157-7110.1000263
3. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Singh S, Shakya B.R. (2013) Studies on the Development and Shelf Life of Low-Calorie Herbal Aonla-Ginger RTS Beverage by Using Artificial Sweeteners. Journal of Food Process Technology 4: 200. DOI:10.4172/2157-7110.1000200
2. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Suman Singh, B. R. Shakya (2013) Studies on the development and shelf life of low-calorie herbal aonla-ginger RTS beverage by using artificial sweeteners. Beverage & Food World Journal 40 (4) 34-36.
1. Singh Suman and Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad (2012). Studies on the development and storage stability of bitter gourd-lemon function RTS beverage. Internat. Journal of Processing & Post-Harvest Technology, 3 (2): 306-310.
# Abstract Published in National/International Conference Proceedings
1. Gaikwad, K. K. Lee, YS 2017, Oxygen scavenging films based on pyrogallol coating for active packaging applications. 8th The Shelf Life International Meeting (SLIM 2017) held on Nov 1-3, 2017 in Bangkok, Thailand.
2. Gaikwad, K. K. Lee, YS 2016, Ceramic as a potential material for advance food packaging applications 48th Annual conference of Korean society of packaging science & technology held on Oct 29-31, 2016 at Jeju, South Korea
3. Gaikwad, K. K. Lee, YS 2016, Novel natural phenolic compound-based oxygen scavenging system for active food packaging applications. In the IAFP 2016 Annual Meeting. IAFP. St. Louis, USA.
4. Gaikwad, K.K. Lee, YS 2015, Development of oxygen scavenging functional film for lipid-containing food packaging. Proceeding of Innovation in Food Packaging, Food Safety and Shelf life, 15-17 September, Munich, Germany.
5. S. Singh, K.K. Gaikwad 2015, Optimization of process parameters for stabilization of sugarcane juice. Proceeding of Innovation in Food Packaging, Food Safety and Shelf life, 15-17 September, Munich, Germany
6. K.K. Gaikwad 2015, Advances in functional food packaging technology. Proceeding of 5th Euro-Global Summit and Expo on food & beverages June 16-18, Alicante, Spain.
7. Kirtiraj Gaikwad, Suman Singh and P.K. Omre 2014, Modified atmospheric packaging of blackberry fruits with the use of chlorine dioxide gas & its effect on antioxidant & phenolic properties, Proceeding of National seminar on nation resource management in G.B.P.U.A & T India. Theme –IV PP: 239-245
8. Suman Singh, Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, P K Omre, Anwesha Sarkar, A.E. Kate 2014, Food Packaging Development, Proceeding of an International Interactive Seminar On food processing industry new Bundelkhand University Jhansi on July 7-8 2014.
9. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad, Suman Singh, P K Omre, Sandhya Madan Mohan 2014, Active & Intelligent Packaging: innovations for the future, proceeding of an international interactive seminar on the food processing industry new entrepreneurial opportunity with sustainable business patterns at Institute of Food Technology, Bundelkhand University Jhansi on July 7-8 2014
10. Suman Singh, PK Omre, Kirtiraj Gaikwad, Sandya Mohan 2014 Managing environmental sustainability in Indian food & drinks Industries Proceedings of the All India Seminar on Emerging technology for sustainable resource management March 13-14, 2014 Pantnagar, India.
11. Suman Singh, PK Omre, Kirtiraj Gaikwad 2014 Spoilage of sugar cane juice -A problem in Sugarcane Industries Proceedings of the 48th Annual Convention of Indian Society of Agricultural Engineers (ISAE) and Symposium on Engineering Interventions in Conservation Agriculture February 21-23, 2014 Udaipur, India.
12. Kirtiraj Gaikwad, M Siddiq, Susan Selke, 2013, Effect of Chlorine Dioxide Package System (PET & PLA material) on Antioxidant Capacity, Total Phenolic and Color of blackberry fruits, Proceedings of the International Conference on food Processing and Technology, 2013, Kansas City, USA.
13. Kirtiraj Gaikwad, Suman Singh 2012, Microwave in sterilization technology, Proceedings of the International Conference on Agriculture, Food Sciences and Environmental Technology for Sustainable Global Development (AFSET 2012) at Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi, India.
14. Kirtiraj K. Gaikwad 2012 Food sovereignty as a way to achieve food security. Proceedings of the International symposium Agricultural communication and sustainable rural development from information to knowledge to wisdom at G.B. Pant University of Agriculture & Technology Pant agar, Uttarakhand, India.
15. Kirtiraj Gaikwad, Pratik Bagde 2007, Quality assessment of Gulucha (Milk product). Proceedings of the Indian Convention of Food Scientists and Technologists (ICFOST 2007), at IIT Kharagpur, India.
16. Kirtiraj Gaikwad 2006, Realization the potential of Nano Biotechnology. Proceedings of the Convention of Food Scientists and Technologists (ICFOST 2006) in N.G. Ranga Agri. University Hyderabad, India.